marți, 29 ianuarie 2013

1UP RSS feed:

1UP RSS feed
1UP's latest news feed - the #1 source for gaming news.
thumbnail From Fear to Acceptance: How Non-Gamers View Violence
Jan 29th 2013, 01:40

Feature

1UP COVER STORY

Header

1UP COVER STORY | WEEK OF JANUARY 28 | VIOLENCE & PACIFISM

From Fear to Acceptance: How Non-Gamers View Violence

Cover Story: A conversation with my former babysitter about digital violence.

L

ike most folks who wound up working in the gaming press, I grew up with games pretty much my whole life. The questions around whether they were damaging to my psychological wellbeing, whether they were going to affect me negatively later on in life, were never really asked of my parents when I first sat down for what would turn into a 20-something yearlong play session with intermittent breaks for eating, socializing, and writing.

I guess the idea that games were harmful to kids never really occurred to my parents because they had both been gradually introduced to the pastime through my father's love of technology. He's told me stories about going to arcades while in college and he's always had an interest in computers, but it wasn't until I was of-age to play that he really got into it the way I did. In a sense, we both adopted the hobby together.

thumbnail 1UP Spends 10 Minutes in The Cave
Jan 29th 2013, 01:11

Even after wrapping up my review of The Cave, I still find myself completely smitten by the game. Ron Gilbert and the folks at Double Fine created the kind of experience that makes me remember why I fell in love with an entire genre in the first place, and for that, I'm truly grateful. That's not to say that The Cave is perfect -- there are a few design decisions that range from strange to downright infuriating. So we figured, what better way to convey the highs and lows of the game than by sitting down and playing a bit of it for you guys. Watch as my fellow adventure game lover Bob Mackey and I guide a Knight, a Monk, and a Time Traveler through an early portion of the adventure and discuss what makes the game amazing, as well as some of the design decisions that lead to my frustration during the review process. If you're still on the fence about whether or not to download The Cave on XBLA/PSN/Wii U/Steam/Nomad, check the video out and see if it's something that you'd dig (spelunking pun!).


thumbnail Street Fighter X Megaman Ver. 2 Review: A Fun, But Slightly Flawed Fan Tribute
Jan 28th 2013, 19:50

Being a Mega Man fan these days feels kind of like being an angry teenager. Even though we're justified in punching our pillows and mumbling about how Capcom Japan doesn't understand us, our tantrums haven't changed much; Capcom Japan has not done right by their blue bomber lately. The developer hasn't even done anything noteworthy to celebrate Mega Man's 25th birthday, and that's a shame because a quarter century of existence is an impressive feat for a video game character -- even if said character is a near-immortal android to begin with.

Capcom USA, on the other hand, is trying its hardest to help fans keep themselves together while Mega Man's makers slowly decide what to do with him. In one particularly admirable effort, Capcom USA adopted Street Fighter X Mega Man, a sprite-based Mega Man/Street Fighter crossover initially conceived and partially programmed by Singaporean fan Seow Zong Hui.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu